Gilded by Christina Farley
Release date: Mar. 1, 2014
A Korean god. An ancient curse. Can she escape becoming GILDED?
A girl with a black belt and a deadly proclivity with steel-tipped arrows discovers an ancient Korean god has been kidnapping the first-born daughters of her family for generations. And she’s next.
Sixteen-year-old Jae Hwa Lee is a Korean-American girl with a black belt, a deadly proclivity with steel-tipped arrows, and a chip on her shoulder the size of Korea itself. When her widowed dad uproots her to Seoul from her home in L.A., Jae thinks her biggest challenges will be fitting in to a new school and dealing with her dismissive Korean grandfather. Then she discovers that a Korean demi-god has been stealing the soul of the oldest daughter of each generation in her family for centuries. And she's next.
But that’s not Jae’s only problem.
Ebook: ASIN: B00FN2KR3K
Available at Amazon, BAM, IndieBound and Barnes and Noble
“An amazing contemporary fantasy that explores the vast legends of Korea, this richly detailed novel kept me turning the pages well into the night. Jae Hwa starts off as a strong character and ends as a noble one, using both her brains and her brawn to win the day–she’s exactly the kind of girl YA literature needs.”
~from Beth Revis, NY Times Bestselling author of Across the Universe series
"Farley brings South Korea's fascinating culture and mythology into vivid detail in this shining debut, and Jae is a compelling heroine. An exotic, thrilling read, GILDED had me utterly entranced!"
~from Jessica Khoury, author of ORIGIN and VITRO
Korean Food Tour based on GILDED
1. soju- Korean vodka distilled from rice or sweet potatoes
2. kimbap- Korean dish of steamed white rice and other ingredients rolled in sheets of dried seaweed and served in bite-sized slices
3. tteok- rice cakes with sesame and brown sugar tucked inside
4. kalbi- grilled beef or pork
5. kimchi- spicy pickled cabbage; the national dish of Korea
6. Pepero sticks- a cookie stick, dipped in compound chocolate, manufactured by Lotte Confectionery
7. shabu shabu (not Korean but one of Jae’s favorite foods)
8. japchae- Korean dish made from sweet potatoes, noodles, and vegetables
9. hotteok- brown sugar pancake
10. chi tea- Jae’s favorite drink
11. dried squid- Jae likes to eat this as a snack. Think the Korean equivalent to potato chips.
12. kim- edible seaweed
CHRISTINA FARLEY, author of Gilded was born and raised in upstate New York. As a child, she loved to explore, which later inspired her to jump on a plane and travel the world. She taught at international schools in Asia for ten years, eight of which were in the mysterious and beautiful city of Seoul, Korea that became the setting of Gilded. Currently she lives in Clermont, FL with her husband and two sons—that is until the travel itch whisks her off to a new unknown. Gilded is her first novel. For more details, check out her website at www.christinafarley.com. Christina holds a master’s degree in education and has taught for eighteen years. She is represented by Jeff Ourvan of Jennifer Lyons Literary.