Indie Author of the Month, KaSonndra Leigh, is guest posting today. Welcome, KaSonndra.
Hello lovely bloggerly friends. I’m so excited to share the story behind the creation of Hacienda Moon’s official book trailer with you today. Please take a look at it and then we’ll spend a moment talking about the five elements of Gothic Paranormal Romance that we had to cover in this video.
Five Elements of Gothic Paranormal Romance Found in the Book Trailer
1) The Fear element – I’ll go ahead and get this one out of the way. Gothic Romance is about fear. But most of it is mildly psychological. Translation: you won’t be reading about any Texas Chainsaw Massacres in these pages. It’s important to remember that Gothic Romance is just what the genre’s name implies – dark, odd, and unusual romantic situations complete with screaming females, and ridiculously handsome heroes and tyrant oil tycoons (with sexy pouty lower lips). **eyebrow wag**
2) The Mystery – Well, you know how this one goes: old houses, secret rooms, diaries hidden in odd places. And usually someone who met an early death of some type.
3) The Terror – Notice I didn’t call this horror. We’ll talk more about that in the next section. This takes up where #2 left off. Someone usually experiences an early death. The heroine is generally the one who indirectly falls into the role of the detective. The situations she encounters while tackling her new duty is usually caused by her own mind. But in my novel the paranormal aspect takes this to another level. And that’s what made this story so very much fun to write.
4) Is it borderline horror? You might be surprised by the answer. There’s always a curse. Without a curse then it probably isn’t a Gothic novel. It might be a straight up romance or historical, but the Gothic rule says that there has to be a curse. The paranormal tied to it allows some room for handling the curse differently. Think Anne Rice here. :D
5) The Love Factor – Believe it or not, Gothic Romance was the original romance novel back in the 1700’s. Ann Radcliffe, Horace Walpole, Arthur Lewis, Mary Shelley, the Bronte sisters, and even Bram Stoker were considered the original gangsters of the genre. This is where I leave the rest of the gang behind. I don’t stick to the blueprint. I believe in HEAs. Sometimes it’s not always the person my readers thought it would be; but it usually ends up all good.
There you have it. Those are the five elements that I had to consider when making this video. I’m so very glad to have been able to come here today and share it with you. We just released it this past weekend. Good luck in the giveaway!
Hacienda Moon by KaSonndra Leigh
Paranormal romance*Paperback, 280 pages
Published July 28th 2012 by The TriGate Group (first published July 27th 2012)
Love, obsession, and betrayal, the most powerful human emotions, are spun together in this gothic novel. Tandie Harrison is a police medium who has just suffered a divorce after losing both her psychic visions and her daughter in a car accident. When she leaves New York City to start a new life near her hometown, she moves into the alluring plantation house, Chelby Rose, and falls for its charismatic caretaker, Eric Fontalvo. Their burgeoning affair ignites a centuries old curse, ensnaring them in a web of danger, deceit, and intrigue. Soon Tandie learns that in placid Bolivia, the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected.
Hacienda Moon is a seductive tale of one woman’s journey to confront the demons of her past and find the courage to face her future. It is a mesmerizing novel that explores the deepest depths of human nature, and the characters will hold and haunt you long after you have read the final chapter.